Our commitment to transparency
Your privacy is important to us. We are committed to providing the information you need to make informed choices about the ways you use the Website and our services, make donations or otherwise engage with us.
“Personal information” means information about an identified or identifiable individual. Examples of personal information include your name, your mobile number, your email address and your photograph.
What kinds of personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information that we collect and hold about you will depend on the nature of your engagement with us. We will only collect your personal information where it is reasonably necessary for us to pursue one or more of our functions or activities, or where we are required to collect the information by law.
When you use our Website or our services or otherwise engage with us, we may collect details such as your:
- full name;
- physical address;
- email address;
- age or date of birth;
- telephone number;
- organisation that you work for; or
- service or educational institution details.
Given the nature of our organisation, we may also collect sensitive information from you in some circumstances (such as your health information). We will only collect your sensitive information with your consent, and if the collection is reasonably necessary for us to pursue one or more of our functions or activities.
You have the option of interacting with us anonymously or using a pseudonym if you feel more comfortable dealing with us that way. For example, if you contact us by telephone with a general question, we will not ask for your full name unless we need it to answer your question.
If you make a donation to us, we may also collect your credit card details in addition to information of the type set out above.
In these circumstances, we may also ask to collect other information such as:
- your preferences for receiving further information about our programs, workshops, campaigns or activities;
- your title, the department you work for, company information or marketing spend; and
- demographic information about you and/or other unique identifiers in order to provide you with a more personalised experience, or to verify your passwords.
How do we collect your personal information?
We may collect and use your personal information if you:
- deal with us over the phone, via email or in person;
- call or use our SP Peer CARE Connect warmline service;
- participate in public or closed surveys, questionnaires or events;
- register to participate in our workshops, either as a participant or facilitator;
- register for face-to-face or digital events (such as webinars);
- donate to Roses in the Ocean; or
- apply for a position with us either as an employee, volunteer or contractor.
Wherever possible, we will try to collect personal information from you directly, rather than from another person or source, unless it is unreasonable or impractical to do so.
How do we use your personal information?
We may collect your personal information for a number of purposes. Some of those purposes include to:
- provide you with the information or resources you have requested from us;
- provide you with support and refer you to other support services (including emergency services and crisis lines) when you call or use our SP Peer CARE Connect warmline service;
- involve you in programs, workshops, campaigns, research, activities or other initiatives undertaken by Roses in the Ocean and organisations associated with Roses in the Ocean;
- receive and process your donation;
- show your name and the amount of any donation or sponsorship you may make on our Website (unless you choose a private or anonymous donation);
- register you to hold a fundraising event or for you to assist us as a volunteer;
- send you emails about our programs, workshops, campaigns or activities (if you have consented to this);
- improve the emails that are sent to you and to improve the personalisation, services, programs, content and resources that may be offered to you;
- enable like-minded organisations to contact you with information that may be of interest to you (if you have consented to this); or
- invite you to participate in surveys and provide feedback to us.
Who might Roses in the Ocean disclose your personal information to?
Your personal information may be provided to third parties where they provide services that relate to the purpose for which the personal information was collected.
For example, in certain circumstances we may disclose your personal information to:
- the service providers that host our Website servers;
- other support services (including emergency services and crisis lines) we may refer you to when you call or use our SP Peer CARE Connect warmline service;
- our service delivery partners;
- marketing service providers;
- other like-minded charitable organisations;
- professional advisors such as accountants, auditors and lawyers; and
- Government Departments of Health.
Otherwise, we will only disclose your personal information if:
- you have consented to the disclosure;
- it is necessary to prevent injury to life or health; or
- it is permitted, required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order.
In certain circumstances, we may also use and disclose de-identified information (which can no longer be used to identify you) for the purposes of:
- compiling statistical information about our services or our organisation more broadly; or
- undertaking research.
Collecting information through our Website
Cookies and similar technologies
We use “cookies” (small files sent to and stored by your browser on your device) to collect information and support certain features of the Website, and other web tracking/analytic tools that generate statistics about traffic to our website.
For example, we may use these technologies to:
- collect information about the ways you use the Website – which pages you visit, which links you use, and how long you stay on each page;
- recognise when you return to the Website; and
- improve our services, programs, content and resources.
Generally, the information we collect using these web technologies does not identify you personally.
If you do not wish to receive cookies, you can set your browser so that your computer does not accept them.
Our Website also uses marketing automation tools that send communications (such as email or SMS) using a number of different services.
Each service uses tracking technologies primarily to understand what subjects are interesting to you by monitoring whether you open emails and follow links. This information is then used to improve the messages that are sent to you and to improve the services, programs, content and resources that are offered to you.
Direct marketing communications
If you register your email with us, from time to time, we may send you emails about our programs, workshops, campaigns or activities. Other like-minded organisations may also contact you with information that may be of interest to you.
You may opt-out of receiving these communications from us at any time by using any of the opt-out facilities provided in the communications or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Storage and security of your personal information
We take reasonable steps (including reasonable administrative, physical and technological measures) to protect the confidentiality and security of your personal information. Your personal information is maintained in a secure environment, which can only be accessed by authorised personnel.
Unfortunately, no website, server or database is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Does my personal information leave Australia?
Regardless of where in the world you reside, Roses in the Ocean may transfer your data to Australia and process and store it there.
We will generally only send or disclose your personal information outside Australia when we send it to our service providers located overseas. Those service providers are generally required by contract to keep your personal information confidential and to use it only to provide services to us or on our behalf.
We may also send your personal information outside Australia if we are authorised or required to do so by law.
Links to other sites
Roses in the Ocean
Suite 106, Level 1
33 Longland Street
Newstead, Brisbane QLD 4006
Phone: 1300 411 461