Indicators of a thriving Lived Experience Collective
It’s important to us that you have what you need to be involved in the way that you want to be. We are working hard to live up to our key indicators of a thriving Lived Experience Collective (LEC).
Members of our Lived Experience Collective are
- engaged in suicide prevention activity to the extent they wish to
- following opportunity and career pathways and supported to explore them
- accessing resources and training opportunities to further develop skills and achieve their LE goals
- developing their expertise through ongoing and varied experiences
- comfortable to provide feedback, suggestions and perspectives
Trained, supported and ready to contribute
Our Lived Experience Collective is comprised of people with a lived experience of suicide across Australia, who have undertaken training to build their capacity to be a lived experience voice of change in suicide prevention.
We recognise that our lived experience of suicide is just one part of who we are, and as such, Roses in the Ocean endeavours to engage the whole person by facilitating opportunities to harness individuals’ diverse skills and expertise. In doing so, we have created a passionate Collective which, when combined with the insights drawn from lived experience of suicide, offers an invaluable resource within suicide prevention.
To safely tap into the skills, capabilities and expertise of the Collective, Roses in the Ocean ensures that all members are supported to make an informed decision about their personal readiness to be involved, have access to mentoring support, are trained in appropriate messaging and language, and possess current and accurate knowledge of suicide and the suicide prevention sector and system.
Email us for information about being part of our Lived Experience Collective.
Opportunities and roles within Roses in the Ocean
Upon completing Roses in the Ocean training, people are often keen to become involved with us. Some of our members have become:
- Mentors – provide guidance, preparation and debriefing to people as they engage in suicide prevention activities by joining our National Mentoring Program
- Readiness Callers – assist people to make informed decisions about their readiness to become involved and join a workshop
- Facilitators – our facilitators all have lived experience of suicide, established facilitation skills and undergo rigorous training and on the job development
- Speakers Hub – we are often asked for our wonderful lived experience speakers who have been trained through the exceptional ‘Voices of In-Sight’ program
- Staff – a number of Roses in the Ocean staff have been drawn from our Lived Experience Collective as and when opportunities have presented themselves
It is important to note that payment is offered for all of these roles. The receipt of payment from Roses in the Ocean is as a contractor and receipt of funds may have implications for the recipient’s personal financial and taxation affairs, including eligibility for pensions, support payments and concessions.
Further, on acceptance of some of these roles you may be required to obtain your own professional indemnity insurance, enter into agreements with Roses in the Ocean Ltd and arrange to provide invoices and other forms for payment. We encourage our Lived Experience Collective to obtain their own financial and taxation advice appropriate for their personal circumstances.