Lived Experience of Suicide Informed and Inclusive Culture Change
The tendency to conflate lived experience of suicide with consumer/carer perspectives has limited genuine engagement with people whose experiences of suicide are not reducible to mental health.
It is essential that the unique features of someone’s lived experience of suicide are recognised if we are to meaningfully harness their unique insights and wisdom in efforts to improve suicide prevention. The need for the distinct voices and expertise of people with lived experience of suicide to be included in suicide prevention activity has been formally recognised in several key national reports point squarely to the need for a Whole of Australian Government (WOAG) approach to suicide that is informed by, integrated with, and implemented through the critical voices of people with lived experiences of suicide.
Roses in the Ocean has produced a series of resources to guide staff and organisations intending to, or already, engaging and partnering with people with lived experience of suicide in suicide prevention related activity.
They set out the foundational principles of safe, effective, and sustainable engagement which are then used in conjunction with six other key Roses in the Ocean guidance documents which collectively support lived experience informed culture change.
Roses in the Ocean is launching the Lived Experience of Suicide Informed and Inclusive Culture Change suite of resources in January 2022, a deliverable of our NSPLSP funding which will be delivered 6 months ahead of schedule. These resources will include:
- Lived Experience of Suicide Engagement Principles (LESEP);
- Lived Experience of Suicide Engagement, Participation, and Integration (LESEPI) Framework;
- Lived Experience of Suicide Engagement, Participation and Integration (LESEPI): Implementation Toolkit;
- Lived Experience of Suicide Engagement, Participation, and Integration (LESEPI): Decision and Evaluation Tools;
- Building a Lived Experience Informed and Inclusive Culture: A practical guide for organisations;
- Lived Experience of Suicide Language and Imagery Guide;
- Co-designing with people with lived experience of suicide: Planning Guide; and
- Co-designing Safe Spaces: Planning Guide.