All Roses in the Ocean capacity-building workshops are lived experience informed, designed and delivered by professional facilitators who also have a personal lived experience of suicide.
Our Voice in Action is a two-day workshop designed to develop specific skills for impactful engagement in suicide prevention activities. It provides a framework to explore your lived experience and discover how it can be combined with other skills to have the greatest influence and meaning.
On completion of this program, you can expect to be able to:
- Identify the key messages within your lived experience story which others can benefit from.
- Understand what it means to be a LE representative, what the practical steps to influencing are, and what it means to collectively advocate.
- Appreciate the wide range of lived experience perspectives and the wisdom they offer
- Dispel common myths and misconceptions about suicide through lived experience perspectives and facts.
- Understand how your communication and working style can be best utilised in various suicide prevention forums.
- Discover the role of lived experience in casting a critical lens over suicide messaging, imagery and written communications.
- Understand the importance of shared expectations and collaboration, and how to manage conflict.
- Implement your self-care plan and activate your support networks as required.
- Participate actively as a member of the Roses in the Ocean Lived Experience Collective.
What happens after the program?
On completion, you will be better equipped to engage, if you choose, with your local suicide prevention networks and Primary Health Network. You will be supported to continue developing skills and contributing to suicide prevention by the Roses in the Ocean Mentor Call Back services. You may wish to go on to attend the Voices of In-Sight Speakers workshop.
Who is the program for?
Our Voice in Action is a foundational program for people with a lived experience of suicide who are ready to explore opportunities to be involved in suicide prevention activities. This program is the base training for Lived Experience Advisory and Reference Groups for organisations and Primary Health Networks.
Our Voice in Action has received Accreditation to the Suicide Prevention Australia Standards – Quality Innovation Performance Program.
This accreditation is designed to assure the safety, quality and efficacy of Australia’s suicide prevention programs and includes a formal independent assessment against the Suicide Prevention Australia Standards for Quality Improvement.